Geographically, Estonia is on the north-eastern edge of the European Union, bordering Russia and Latvia.
- Finland is a short hop across the sea – just 80km away.
- There are ferries to Tallinn from Helsinki (Finland) or Stockholm (Sweden).
- Estonia is in the Schengen Area so we have open borders with the rest of Europe.
- Brits, Americans, Canadians and Australians can also enter Estonia visa-free.
- Lennart Meri Tallinn Airport, named after our late President, has direct flights all over Europe.
- Estonia has a population of just 1.3 million but is larger than Denmark or Holland.
- The Estonian language is a nightmare to learn.
- Everyone in tourism speaks good English and often German, Finnish, Russian and Swedish too!
- Great food is everywhere and you can even eat marinated bear here!
- In winter it gets very cold and we get plenty of beautiful snow.
- No, there are no polar bears in Estonia.
- Roads are traffic jam free.
- Estonia is almost 50% forest.
- Tallinn is our medieval capital and by far the biggest city, with a population of around 400,000.
- In 2011 Tallinn will be the European Capital of Culture.
- Tartu, with 100,000 people, is our young yet timeless university town.
- Estonia has over 1,500 islands.