Exciting places and sights
Vaivara Sinimägede Museum
The location between two civilisations, in the neighbourhood of the only east-west road to the north of Lake Peipsi and strategically important bridge (Narva) – these are the reasons why Vaivara has again and again been the battle place for enemies at war.
The Vaivara Sinimägede Museum and its surroundings with hiking trails open doors into the course of historical events that have greatly influenced Estonia. This is the place to visit for those who are interested in military history.
The museum and the hiking trail are 14 km from Meresuu.More information
Krenholm Manufacturing Company
On the River Narva, a bit higher the city, there is a waterfall with two escarpments which was in the past famous for its abundance of water. Now the fall is mostly dry, only at the time of high water, some water is directed onto the fall. Between the escarpments, there is Krenholm Island. In the 19th century famous Krenholm Manufacturing Company was built near the waterfall and at that time it was the biggest factory of the Russian empire. In 1913 over ten thousand people worked there. Around the factory, there was a compact complex of industrial architecture containing the factory, hospital, barracks of workers, houses of directors, Krenholm Park. The red-brick buildings were built in English style.More information
Narva Museum / Castle
During the past years, more than 700 years old Narva Hermann Castle has belonged to the Danes, Germans, Swedes, Russians and finally Estonians. The castle’s appearance as we know it today originates from the 14th -16th centuries, from the period of domination by the Livonian Order. Gravely damaged in the Second World War, the castle was mostly restored in 1970s-1980s, the restoration works are not finished.
Today, Narva Castle hosts a museum where you can see both the permanent exhibition of the history of Narva city as well as about a dozen of temporary expositions. Each autumn the Museum Festival is organised in Narva. During the festival the best of the Estonian museums’ temporary exhibitions are on display here until the end of year.
Exciting discoveries can be made in Narva Bastions; each bastion could tell its own interesting story. The most known of them is Victoria Bastion where exciting discovery expeditions and excursions are organised.More information
Narva-Jõesuu Museum of Regional Studies
Narva-Jõesuu Museum of Regional Studies has picture archives illustrating the history and culture of the resort town. You can find out the information about the famous people who have lived or spent summers there. It’s interesting to know that the museum is in the building which was once home to one of Estonia’s most famous authors – A. H. Tammsaare.
The Museum of Regional Studies is situated 350 m from Meresuu.More information
Kuremäe (Pühtitsa) Convent
Kuremäe Convent, located in the centre of Kuremäe, was established in 1891, and is the only functioning Russian Orthodox nunnery in Estonia. In ancient times, a sacred place of the Estonians was located here and a sacrificial spring was at the foot of the hill. The spring is known as the holy spring today due to the curative powers of the water. One can also bathe in the refreshing water.
The convent gates are open and you can walk around and observe the convent life. Those who are more interested in the life and history of the convent can order a tour from the nuns for a fee, in order to see the various churches in the convent complex that are otherwise closed to the public.
Kuremäe Convent is situated 59 km from Meresuu.More information
Estonian Mining Museum in Kohtla-Nõmme
The Estonian Mining Museum offers several activities and programmes. The most attractive and exciting attraction is the Underground Museum consisting of former mining gears with a total length of 1 kilometre.
The Mining Museum is situated 60 km from Meresuu.More information
Oru Park in Toila
Oru Park and a grand palace in the beautiful valley of the River Pühajõgi were founded by Grigori Jelissejev – one of the wealthiest men in the 19th century Russia. In 1935, three Estonian industrialists bought the palace and park, and gave it to President Päts as a gift for his summer residence. The palace was totally destroyed during the Second World War.
Today you can walk in the well-marked and well-maintained park, look at various species of trees and shrubs, explore Silver Spring Cave as well as enjoy the sea view and the sunset from the pavilion Swallow’s Nest.
Interesting fact: festival called Oru Park Promenade organised annually in August has become a tradition.
Oru Park in Toila is situated 37 km from Meresuu.